Sunday, August 7, 2011

Confucius Temple

With Michael working a 9 to 6:30 job and with my tutoring hours only taking up a small amount of my day, I have had some time to really check out some great sites around Beijing on my own. One of the sites I have seen lately, sans Michael, has been the Confucius Temple.

The Confucius Temple grounds were really interesting. Some of the buildings here even date back to the 14th century and the grounds were used to pay respects to Confucius and used as a scholars school of Confucianism until 1911. Confucius was a scholar of the 5th century BC and most of us are familiar with Confucius quotes, even if we weren't aware that that is what they are. Some include "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves," "I hear and I forget. I see and I understand. I do and I remember," and "It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop."

Gate to the hutong that leads to the Confucius Temple.
These are Red Prayer Tablets that are hung outside of the Temple.

Inside of one of the small buildings that commemorate Confucius. The ceilings is amazing!Remember: Confucius say "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do." :)

No comments: