Friday, July 29, 2011

Peking Roast Duck



Ducks Roasting in the Oven. YUM YUM!!


Even before Michael and I came to China I had heard about a famous Chinese dish called Peking Duck or Chinese Roast Duck. Well, Beijing is the birthplace of this dish and I was excited that I was not only going to be able to sample this famous meal, but excited that I would have the chance to try it for the first time here in China where it was invented.

After researching the dish for a few hours and using the internet and a few guidebooks for resources I finally settled on a little restaurant down the street from our apartment. I'm not sure what the Chinese name of the restaurant is, but I love the fact that the only English words outside the restaurant read "BEIJING ROAST DUCK."

We were able to go with Allie and Steve Tensmeyer who we've been able to hang out with here (he happens to be from Cincinnati where we lived for 5 years! Small world!) and the food was amazing! I definitely enjoyed every bit of it and can't wait to go back. Beijing Roast Duck is one of the best Chinese dishes I have had here! Sure beats the BBQ Chicken Feet...


When you order Roast Duck the waiter brings you:
1. duck meat
2. duck skin (delicious!)
3. sliced cucumbers
4. sliced spring onions
5. Hoisin sauce
6. sugar

The idea is to layer your duck and toppings in your pancake, roll up and eat. This dish has been prepared since the Imperial Era and is now considered one of China's national foods... or so says Wikipedia. :)

No comments: